Multiple OS occurances

This forum discusses topics about the Ultimate Deployment Appliance

Moderators: the_dude, Posters

Multiple OS occurances

Postby mansfieldweb » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:34 am

Hello

Is it possible to have multiple OS occurences.

For example,

Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 (OEM)
Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 (OEM)
Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 (Retail)
Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 (Retail)

Regards

mansfieldweb
mansfieldweb

Workaround

Postby the_dude » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:51 am

Hi,

There's currently no way have multiple occurrances of the same OS.
But you may be able to pull it off anyway with a little trick.

* Import 1 of the distributions (I would take the most recent) as windows XP professional. The boot-files that will be imported are probably all the same for these distributions and most likely compatible with eachother.
* create a template

You can now trick the UDA into deploying another distribution by :

* Unmounting the ISO file (from the OS screen)
* Move the ISO file away (rename the file)
* Move in another ISO file of another distribution (rename it to the exact (case-sensitive!) filename of the iso file that was previously mounted by UDA
* Mount the (new) ISO from the OS screen in UDA.

Good luck!
the_dude

Postby mansfieldweb » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:16 pm

I understand where you're going with the workaround and can see how it could work. It would be more convenient though to have all revisions online for deployment at the same time without having to manually unmount, rename and remount when a different revision is required.

Could this be something that could be deployed (no pun intended :) ) into the next version of UDA? This would make it the mutts nutts then for our requirements!

I've been playing with Microsoft's Windows Deployment system but it's not really sufficient as it configures the newly deployed machine under the Active Directory control of the server that deployed it meaning the machine then has to be configured to leave the domain. A complete pain in the rear when all you want to do is deploy the OS installation files.

UDA rocks by the way! I can't wait to see it mature into the most complete deployment package.

Keep up the excellent work.

Regards, Mark (mansfieldweb)
mansfieldweb

Postby datux » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:53 am

i kinda have the same problem as mansfieldweb
i also need more then one version of windows server 2003 (VLK, R2, etc.)

is it possible to edit the OS list to add more instances of an OS?
we maybe could copy all the existing scripts and just point to a diferent iso and create an additional template
if this is the case we have an permanent solution i think
and should be more workable in an production enviroment then "fooling uda"

plz let me know what you think of it

regards Datux
datux

multi vers

Postby aviadra » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:41 am

hi... i worked on it for a bit and i have an answer, how to make UDA serve multiple versions of the same OS.

1. u need to upload the ISO normally via the web interface.
1a. make a templet for the OS via the web interface (so u have the unic bootstrap for that OS)
2. i suggest mounting the second HD, sins we are going to need alot of space
3. connect using ssh (i suggest winSCP) into the UDA box
4. go into the dir /var/public/tftproot/
5. copy the directory: WINXP, to the DISK2 mounted in /var/public/smbmount/DISK2, under a unique directory eg heb (for Hebrew).
so u should have:

/var/public/smbmount/DISK2/heb/WINXP

6. edit the file /etc/samba/smb.conf
7. at the end of the file copy the [REMINST] entry, add a new entry pointing to were we copied the install files.

original looks like this:
[REMINST]
browsable = true
read only = no
guest ok = yes
path = /var/public/tftproot

add something like this

[HEB]
browsable = true
read only = no
guest ok = yes
path = /var/public/smbmount/DISK2/heb/

8. restart the SMB demon(service) buy doing:
/etc/init.d/smb restart
this will mount the new share.
or u can just restart the server.

9.edit the SIF file in /var/public/tftproot to reflect the change of the share point.
as each OSs template u make has a unique SIF file and we have just robbed it of its files, we need to edit it so it would point to the correct place.
the lines to change are

org1:
OriSrc = "\\170.40.40.13\REMINST\WINXP\I386"

change to:
OriSrc = "\\170.40.40.13\HEB\WINXP\I386"

org2:
SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\170.40.40.13\REMINST\WINXP"

change to:
SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\170.40.40.13\HEB\WINXP"

try it out... it worked for me.... hope it will help others :)
aviadra

correction

Postby aviadra » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:20 am

Ok... after racking my own brain I have come to understand Y the old method was NOT perfect... and how to fix it...

It is not perfect because it will always use the same "txtsetup.sif" and "biosinfo.inf" files, for ALL OSs... not good... cus it may lead to problems.

So... new way is (will some1 wake the F up and continue the truly absolute gr8 work here?) like this:

1. Mound disk2 (that hasn?t changed we r still going to need lots and lotza space)

2. U need to upload the ISO normally via the web interface (still the same)

3. Make a template for the OS via the web interface, so u have the unique bootstrap for that OS. Not mandatory but just for good measure. (Again no change)

4. Go into the dir /var/public/tftproot/
Copy the directory: WINXP, to the DISK2 mounted in /var/public/smbmount/DISK2, under a unique directory e.g. heb.
So u should have:

/var/public/smbmount/DISK2/HEB /WINXP

Add just one more SMB share, by adding it at the end of the "/etc/samba/smb.conf" file.

Original looks like this:
[REMINST]
browsable = true
read only = no
guest ok = yes
path = /var/public/tftproot

Add something like this

[REMINST2]
browsable = true
read only = no
guest ok = yes
path = /var/public/smbmount/DISK2/

8. restart the SMB demon(service) buy doing:
/etc/init.d/smb restart
this will mount the new share.
or u can just restart the server.

6. Edit the SIF file in /var/public/tftproot to reflect the change.
As each OSs template u make has a unique SIF file and we have just robbed it of its files, we need to edit it so it would point to the correct place.
The lines to change are

org1:
OriSrc = "\\170.40.40.13\REMINST\WINXP\I386"

change to:
OriSrc = "\\170.40.40.13\REMINST2\HEB\WINXP\I386"

org2:
SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\170.40.40.13\REMINST\WINXP"

change to:
SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\170.40.40.13\HEB\WINXP"

Repeat for all OSs u will need

Comment:
Sometimes windows setup files will be capital and sometimes they will be non-capital... since tftp IS case sensitive (and I have not found any other way to overcome this) change the files names into non-capital!!.

i suggest this freeware:
http://www.febooti.com/products/filetweak/members/case/

7. Edit the TFTP map file via the web interface in "services"-> TFTP -> config

8. For every OSs you added, add at the end of the file these to lines

rG /HEB/WINXP_EXTRA/ /WINXP_EXTRA/
rG /HEB/WINXP_SYS/ /WINXP_SYS/

9. Copy the content of /var/public/tftproot
Into
/var/public/smbmount/DISK2

(U may skip the winxp directory)

10. Go to "/var/public/files" and EDIT the tftp file. Find tftproot and change it to point to "/var/public/smbmount/DISK2"
So it should look like

"tftproot=/var/public/smbmount/DISK2"

Restart the TFTP service by
/etc/init.d/tftpd restart

That should be it? boot a client and try it out

One final note? is if u want to add OSs u must change
"tftproot=/var/public/smbmount/DISK2"

Back to the org tftproot=/var/public/tftproot
Restart the TFTP service
Then u can make the changes normally via the web interface. When your done repeat steps 6 ~ 10.
aviadra

Re: Multiple OS occurances

Postby dgames » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:11 pm

WOW what a process! That must have taken a while to figure out.

Let me start with UDA is an awesome tool! I too see a need for EASILY configurable Multi ISO/OS versions. While it looks possible from the process outlined above it also looks pretty complex.

Is anyone looking into how to possibly integrate functionality like this into UDA. The main reason I se a need is for different hardware vendors (HP, Dell, IBM)and the $oem$ directory in Windows unattended install.

Different vendor hardware needs different supporting files. For instance the HP Support Pack v 7.9 clocks in at 190+ MB. I don't want to copy that to my DELL or IBM servers during an install. If I could have multiple instances of OS loaded I could either

1. Allow Multi OS Version capability, build a custom OS ISO that contains desired OS version with a vendor specific $oem$ directory, load each ISO as a different user definable OS that is vender/version specific. This could use Single/Multiple Version OS SYS/INF Bootfile sets. This would allow creation of the vendeor specific $oem$ directory structure without having it on the UDA itself keeping UDA small and simple.

2. Allow Multi OS Version capability as in number 1 above but using a filesystem directory as install media rather than a mounted ISO image. This way you can just make changes to the directory to update your install. This could use Single/Multiple Version OS SYS/INF Bootfile sets. This would allow creation and EASY modification of $oem$ directory structure without having them on the UDA itself keeping UDA small and simple.

3. Have Multiple OS Version ISOs(WI2K3Std,WI2K3Ent,WI2K3Web,WI2K3StdSP1.....), Multiple Version OS SYS/INF Bootfile sets (WI2K3Std_SYS....) and create OS Version/Vendor unique dirs like WI2K3Std_HP_OEM on UDA mapped to a USER DEFINABLE "Virtual OS" in UDA.

Have I confused everyone?

Is there a better way to handle Multi Vendor installs of WIn2K3 via UDA that I am missing?

Thanks,
Dax
dgames

Postby aviadra » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:46 am

Well some of what you're asking IMHO cannot work because the TFTP server is local to the UDA server and it cannot refer to anything not in its root directory.
Again, this is only in my opinion... I am not denying it... but that was my experience.

moreover in my opinion the energy your asking to invest in keeping the UDAs footprint small is unnecessary because having it like you asking would mean that UDA would pool the files it needs to serve to the clients over the network and then serve them to them... obviously this would mean degraded performance because unless you change the VMware configuration to have more then one network card you will be limiting your self to about 5.5Mb/s of throughput MAXIMUM!!... and even if you change the VMware to have two network cards, you would still be limited to the 12Mb/s the receiving card is capable of... and not the 40Mb/s or more a local HD is able to deliver... it is more likely you would want to add more cards for more subnets on your network to offload the burden from the first NIC so you'd be able to get more out of the server in the future.

as for managing files for the $oem$... with my solution it is more then possible... you connect into the UDA using winSCP... there u go to the TFTPs home dir and you WILL have a directory for every OS that you want... and you can edit the SIF files no sweat and copy more files...
hek you can even pull all the files, integrate new Service Packs and push them back in.

And ya… lots and lots of time to figure it out… but sooooo worth it ^_^

And I am making a movie series on youtube as to how to use UDA including the above post... once you see how its working you will understand that it is no more then moving files around... so IMHO it's not that difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/hotfortech
aviadra

Postby dgames » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:27 am

I definitely agree on the whole throughput thing. It IS best to add things to DISK2.

Maybe my explanation is unclear.

All ISOs and "directories" would still be mounted or symlinked under TFTP root as they are today. This is the case today even if your ISOs reside on an SMB share on a Windows server. Example: /var/public/tftproot/WI2K3 is actually a mounted ISO in /var/public/smbmount/smbiso/ mountpoint defined in the WebUI . Directories COULD be symlinked from the mountpoint, smbmount/ or DISK2/ or whatever, to the tftp root.

I have actually used nLite - HTTP://WWW.NLITEOS.COM to build custom Win2K3 HP specific ISO that is 800MB+ the contains SP2, All critical hotfixes as of 2/19/08, all kinds of customizations including $OEM$ and HP PSP 7.9. I imported this custom ISO into UDA and it deploys like a charm completely patched and hotfixed. PSP 7.9 has not been verified yet but I think it will work as I am doing it post install and post initial login. Right now I am using VMWare to test deployment but will have HP hardware soon so I can do a full test.

Just need the Multi OS ver part so that I can have a Dell ISO, and HP ISO, and an IBM ISO all of which are WIn2K3 based.

I will look a little closer into your process. Maybe not as hard as it initially looked.

It would be nice if your process were somehow automated via UDA WebUI.

Dax
dgames

Postby aviadra » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:35 am

Well sure... I think I said it initially... and I waited for some time for anyone 2 pop in with a reply... but alas it seems that UDA development is gone the way of the Dodo...
So it was up to me, I, and my self to get the job done… and let me tell u… I may not be a total noob in Linux… but I am NO expert either… that is way the process is handling the files and not a change to the webgui engine… I just don’t even know were to start doing that…
aviadra

Postby dgames » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:09 am

I think I just did it. I think I am 80-90% there in modifying the UDA Web UI to allow easy addition of OS versions by:

1. Editing the /var/public/conf/os.new and os.conf files. Added and OS Family field on the end of each line.
2. Creating a default template for new OS/ISO Ver.

At least it appears to work for Windows stuff.

Not completely sure on the steps yet but will keep you posted.

Dax
dgames

Postby aviadra » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:41 am

cool just note that the binl service may be tricky...
aviadra

Postby the_dude » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:36 am

Great work! I've been working on some other stuff in the UDA lately, got a harddisk crash, moved etc.
Anyway the multiple os occurances feature kind of got on hold for a bit. Sorry for that. But good to hear that you haven't been waiting for me! If it works and you send me the code I'll put it in the next version as well (and add you guys to the author/contributor list)
the_dude

Postby aviadra » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:41 am

If I may take the opportunity to make a feature request?
I think you should also add the ability to add individual kernels and there initreds and more importantly disk images (as in ima,imz,flp…)
I am saying this because I now have in my UDA (and u can see it in action in my YouTube movie) several kernels including for example memtest that I load directly to the PXE client, making UDA an all round product that serves most of my needs.
More over I use the memdisk kernel to load img files directly into the PXE client... that is how i made the ghost, acronis and network aware utils.

So if this feature was in the webgui as well I am sure that ppl would b ecstatic, as I have several friends that love the idea of UDA (how could they not really?) but they are to timid or lack the time and/or experience to go into it like I did.

http://www.youtube.com/hotfortech

ps.
i will be greatly honored to be on the contributor list :)
aviadra

Postby covish » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:07 pm

Hi there, first of all, thanks for the great effort to make this great appliance, and aviadra I've seen the videos, they are good, and your work in the modification of the UDA is amazing too, if its no to much to ask could you explain how you do the menu you show in the videos, or put it on a torrent file, thanks in advanced. Another question, I'm using the UDA in a physical computer (celeron 333 that i have laying around), you guys think UDA will run better on another distro, like Debian or Gentoo, if i compile it maybe. Sorry if this sound very newbie, but I'm, but i like to read too, so I'm trying to put my $.02 in the project. Thanks again.
covish

Next

Return to Ultimate Deployment Appliance